Medications to prevent HIV infection, atno cost to you.

Disclaimer: Since HIV is spread primarily through sexual practices or by sharing needles, prevention messages on this site may address these topics. If you are not seeking such information, or may be offended by such materials, please exit this website.

PrEP, or pre-exposure prophylaxis, is a pill to help keep you HIV negative. When taken as prescribed, PrEP is highly effective. PrEP is safe and generally well tolerated. PrEP works for women, men, people of transgendered experience, people of sexual orientations and gender identities, youth, and people who inject drugs. PrEP may be an option for you if: • You wonder how HIV impacts your life • Condoms are not used with partners of unknown HIV status • You or your partner(s) recently had gonorrhea or syphilis • You want to have sex without condoms with a partner who has HIV • You want to have a baby with a man living with HIV • You have sex for money, food, housing, and/or drugs • You inject drugs and share needles PrEP is highly effective for preventing HIV. PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from sex by 99% when taken as prescribed. How can I start PrEP? Talk to your health care provider if you think PrEP may be right for you. Before beginning PrEP, you must take an HIV test to make sure you don’t have HIV.
PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) means taking medicine to prevent HIV after a possible exposure. PEP should be used only in emergency situations and must be started within 72 hours after recent possible exposure to HIV. Talk right away (within 72 hours) to your health care provider about PEP if you think you’ve recently been exposed to HIV: • During sex (for example, if the condom broke), • Through sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs • If you’ve been sexually assaulted. The sooner you start PEP, the better. Every hour counts.

Please contact Quinton Dames for more information regarding PrEP and PEP and how you can receive these medications at no cost to you.

Quinton Dames- Testing & Linkage Specialist: 561-472-9160 Ext. 136